Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen

Bethany House publishers sent me this book to review. The setting is 1814 in England. Mariah has been banished from her house for inappropriate behavior and sent to live in her distant aunt's gatehouse. She begins to secretly write novels to pay the rent. Matthew is a former Navy captain that comes to lease the estate, and as he begins to see more of Mariah, he wonders why she is there. The story is about how they interact with each other. This was my first book by Julie Klassen. Although, I usually like books in this time period, this one I didn't care for. It moved too slowly, and was hard to get excited about. There was some mystery, but not enough. It reminded me of Wuthering Heights or Pride and Prejudice. The characters didn't come alive for me, nor did I see enough about their relationship with God. I probably would not recommended this book to my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment